The .FR domain name extension (a country code Top Level Domain / ccTLD) is for France and administered by AFNIC – which stands for “Association française pour le nommage Internet en coopération”. This translates in English to The French Association for Internet Naming in Cooperation.
AFNIC also operates additional France related extensions including:
- .re (for Réunion Island)
- .yt (for Mayotte)
- .tf (for French Southern and Antarctic Lands)
- .pm (for Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon)
- .wf (for Wallis-et-Futuna)
Who can register a .FR domain name?
- Individuals who reside in The European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.
- Organizations located in the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.
Are Proxy Services Available for .FR domain names?
Yes. Many domain name registrars offer proxy services for .FR domain names. However, not all major registrars do. Some even have restrictions on transferring a .FR domain name from one registrar to another when using proxy services.
Managing ccTLD’s is complex so if you are interested in a .FR domain it’s best to speak with people who understand this product’s complexity.
Talk to NameCorp® today about acquiring a .FR domain name for your brand.